Stolz CPA is located at #201 - 205 Birch Ave, 100 Mile HousePhone: (250) 395-8860Email: - secure email & file transfer
DocuSign - secure electronic signatures
It's that time of year, again. As trusted advisors, we're help to help.


This site is to help 100 Mile House residents navigate the personal tax return filing process. You will find information about 2017 income tax returns in the FAQ section including new rules, things to watch out for, and some planning advice. You will also learn about our process and how our firm can help you file your income tax returns.

Tax Checklist

Our checklist is a handy tool to remind you of various tax reporting requirements, credits and deductions.

Tax Checklist - Download PDF

The "Sign In" Process

In Person Meeting

Meet with us in person to provide us with your tax documents, gather your personal information and sign the engagement letter.

Alternatively, after our meeting, you can scan and email or e-Courier (secure email) your tax documents to us.

Contact us to book a meeting

By Mail

We will mail you the personal information form and engagement letter. We'll include a return address envelope to mail us the signed forms and your tax documents.

Alternatively, instead of mailing your tax documents, you can scan and email or e-Courier (secure email) them to us.

Contact us to receive the forms by mail

100% Digital Online

Securely fill out your personal information, electronically sign the engagement letter, and attach your tax documents all online with DocuSign.

You can even sign on your mobile device and attach documents via your device's camera.

Click here to get started!

The "Working" Process

With your tax information in our office, we will work quickly and diligently to complete your tax return. For basic tax returns and depending on our schedule, we may be able to complete your return while you wait in our office or have a coffee at The Chartreuse Moose.

While working on your return, we may contact you to verify details or clarify some items. Once complete, we will contact you and set up the "sign out" process.

The "Sign Out" Process

In Person Meeting

Meet with us in person to receive a printed copy of your return, review your tax return (optional) and sign the required filing documents.

Once signed, we will electronically file your tax return using EFILE.

Payment methods accepted:

By Mail

We will mail a printed copy of your tax return, tax documents, and signature pages to you. Our letter will summarize the results and provide explanations and other useful information.

Once we receive the signed pages back from you, we will electronically file your tax return using EFILE.

Payment methods accepted:

100% Digital Online

Utilizing secure DocuSign technology, you will receive an email to electronically sign your tax return.

A digital copy (PDF) of your return will be sent to you securely by e-Courier (secure email). Our attached letter will summarize the results and provide explanations and other useful information.

Payment methods accepted:




per return + GST

Includes T4 slips and limited to one of each of the following slips:

T4A, T4A(P), T4A(OAS), T4RSP, T5, T3, T2202A, T5007

40% discount for additional returns for family members



per return + GST

Includes all of Basic package plus:

Multiple slips
RRSP contributions
Medical receipts
Donation receipts
Child care expenses

40% discount for additional returns for family members



per return + GST

Includes all of Standard package plus:

Self-employment income
Rental operations
Employment expenses
Investment transactions
Moving expenses
Long-haul trucking

(Any bookkeeping services required will be subject to additional charges)

40% discount for additional returns for family members


office. #201 - 205 Birch Ave, 100 Mile House
2nd floor, above Western Financial Group, across from RBC

phone. (250) 395-8860

fax. (604) 260-4479



mail. PO Box 1975, 100 Mile House
BC V0K 2E0

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

1. I was evacuated because of the wildfires and received money from several different sources, such as Red Cross, ESS, employment insurance and home insurance. Is any of it taxable?
It depends. Any funding you or your family received from Red Cross, Emergency Support Services (ESS) and/or home insurance to provide food, shelter, personal items, etc. is NOT taxable. Any insurance proceeds to replace appliances and for repairs (ie. smoke damage) in your principal residence is NOT taxable as well.

Any employment insurance benefits received for loss of work would be reported on a T4E slip from Service Canada and is generally taxable.

The situations where funding would be considered taxable is if your business received Red Cross funding or if your business received insurance proceeds for loss of income or damages to inventory, equipment or buildings. These situations can get complicated, especially when it comes to replacement property rules, so best to talk with a CPA to make sure you're on side with reporting and when taking advantage of certain benefits.
2. What are some changes to know about for 2017 personal taxes?
Children fitness and arts credit has been eliminated federally. In BC, the provincial credits are still available for one more year in 2017.

Education and textbook credit has been eliminated, however the tuition amount is still in place.

Canada Caregiver Credit has consolidated and replaced the infirm dependent credit, caregiver credit, and family caregiver credit.

Public Transit Pass credit has been eliminated effective July 1, 2017 so you're still able to claim receipts up to June 30, 2017.
3. When is the RRSP contribution deadline?
You are able to contribute to an RRSP 60 days in 2018 for it to count towards your 2017 taxes. 60 days in 2018 is a deadline date of March 1, 2018.
4. Why should I use a CPA (Chartered Professional Accountant) to prepare and file my tax returns?
A Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) in BC is regulated by the Chartered Professional Accountants of British Columbia (CPABC). As professional accountants, CPAs are valued by individuals and organizations of all types and sizes for their accounting and tax expertise, strategic thinking, business insight, management skills and leadership. CPABC protects the public interest by ensuring its members meet the highest standards of integrity and expertise. For CPAs licensed to practice public accounting, this includes mandatory practice reviews, requirement for professional liability insurance, enforcement of the CPA Code of Professional Conduct, requirement for continuing professional development training, and comprehensive oversight and discipline mechanisms.
5. I lost my tax slips. How can I get a copy of them so I can file my taxes?
Luckily CRA has copies of most, if not all, of your tax slips. You can obtain copies by logging in to your CRA account. If you haven't set up your CRA account, you can authorize us and we can obtain the slips for you.
6. When is the deadline to file my tax return?
Deadline is April 30, 2018 for returns without self-employment activities.

Deadline is June 15, 2018 for returns and spouse returns with self-employment activities.

Keep is mind that even though June 15, 2018 is an extended deadline, any taxes owing are due to be paid by April 30, 2018.
7. I run a business but I don't make much money from it. Do I really have to declare these business activities on my tax return?
When determining whether your activities are a business or a hobby, the main question to answer is whether or not you are in pursuit of profit. Business activities would be required to be reported on your tax return and a hobby would not. If your sales/revenues exceed your expenses, then you are likely in pursuit of profit and would be considered a business. If your expenses inherently exceed your sales/revenues, then the activities are likely a hobby. A good example is a music group/band. If you spend thousands of dollars on musical instruments, traveling, training, marketing materials, merchandise, etc. and the income generated from gigs and merchandise sales is much less year after year, then likely the venture is a hobby and not a business.
8. How do the tax brackets work? I don't want to end up in a worse situation if I have too much income.
The Canadian tax system is set up so that the more income you earn, the higher rate of tax you pay. However, the higher rates are only applied to income after a certain threshold. For example, income up to $38,210 is taxed federally at 15%. Income over $38,210 and up to $87,741 is then taxed federally at 20.5%. So, if you earned $40,210, you would pay federal tax at 15% on $38,210 plus 20.5% on $2,000. Generally speaking, this system would never put you in a worse position financially if your income increased.
9. What are some ways to lower my taxes?
Contributing to an RRSP is a great way to reduce your taxable income while at the same time putting money away for retirement. Another great way is to put money into a TFSA. With a TFSA, there are no upfront benefits, but the income earned on the funds inside the TFSA are not subject to being taxed.

There may be credits or deductions you are entitled to but you never claimed them. Examples would be employment expenses, clergy residence deduction, or union/professional dues.
10. How can I pay my taxes owing?
The method we recommend is online using CRA's "My Payment" service. It connects to your online banking so you're able to pay directly and specify exactly what type of payment you're making. Other options include pre-authorized debit, which we can set up when filing your return. Alternate methods include us providing you with a T7DRA remittance voucher for you to take to your bank to pay or mailing a cheque or money order to CRA - just make sure your Social Insurance Number is written on it.


Stolz Chartered Professional Accountant Inc. is a professional accounting firm based in downtown 100 Mile House. The office provides audit, accounting, tax and consulting services to small businesses, individuals/families, not-for-profit organizations and First Nation communities. Having been in the accounting industry for over 10 years, Stewart Stolz, CPA, CA, owner of the firm, is a trusted advisor who aims to provide top quality service by being responsive, attentive, and caring.

2018 All Rights Reserved. Stolz Chartered Professional Accountant Inc.